This is a really tasty dish and looks great with the spinach edging.
This is a recipe can be prepared in about 10 minutes so is ideal for those days where you are short of time.
You can of course change the vegetables to those of your choice. I prefer to use seasonal vegetables in dishes such as this. Remember though to use root vegetables and not things such a broccoli or cauliflower for they will become too soft and loose their shape.
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 5 cardamom pods, lightly crushed
- 5 thin slices of ginger, cut into thin strips
- 350g carrots, cut into 5 mm slices
- 350g parsnips, cut into 5 mm slices
- 100g baby corn, cut into half
- 260g tin sweet corn, drained
- ½ a large red onion, finely sliced
- 1 tsp five spice powder
- 2 tbls ground almonds
- 100 g creamed coconut, dissolved in 500ml of hot water
- 1 tbls corn flour, mixed with 4 tbls cold water
- Salt and pepper
- 200g baby spinach leaves, washed
- 2 tbls toasted flaked almonds, for garnish
- Heat the oil in the inner pot over a medium heat.
- Add the cardamoms and ginger. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the carrots, parsnips, baby corn, sweet corn and the sliced onion. Stir well for 2-3 minutes.
- Sprinkle over the five spice and ground almonds. Mix with the vegetables.
- Pour over the coconut liquid.
- While stirring pour in the cornflour and water mixture.
- Continue stirring until it comes to the boil.
- Put on the lid, turn off the heat and place the inner pot into the insulated outer container.
- Shut the lid and leave to Thermal Slow Cook without any power for a minimum of 2 hours.
- To serve check the seasoning and adjust if necessary.
- Spoon the cooked vegetables over a bed of baby spinach.
- Garnish with the toasted flaked almonds.