Mr D on October 27th, 2012
Mr D’s TV Thermal Cooking Video 012 – Portuguese Fish Stew
This Portuguese fish stew is normally made in a cataplana which is a Moorish designed copper domed dish. I have made mine in a thermal cooker which like the cataplana keeps the flavours in so they develop their intensity while cooking.
The Western Algarve style cooking includes potatoes, firm white seasonal fish, seafood, peppers and a hint of chili.
Once served from the thermal cooker all that is needed is a spoon and some crusty bread to mop round the bowl.
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 or 3 sprigs of thyme leaves
- 2 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 green chilli, sliced
- 1 fish stock cube
- 400g new potatoes, sliced
- 120g chorizo, sliced
- 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 200ml white wine
- 200ml water
- 1 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 500g mixed fish, cut into chunks
- 500g clams
- 1 small bunch coriander, chopped
- In the inner pot, add the olive oil and thyme. Cook on a low heat a couple of minutes to release the flavours of the herbs.
- Add the garlic and cook gently for 1 minute making sure that it doesn't start to burn.
- Add the onion, green pepper, green chilli and stock cube. Cook gently until the onions soften.
- Turn up the heat slightly and add the potatoes, chorizo, tomatoes, wine and water.
- Grind in some pepper and bring to the boil stirring occasionally.
- Once boiling turn down the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the fish and clams. Bring back to the boil.
- Turn down the heat and simmer for 1 minute before putting the inner pot into the vacuum-insulated outer Thermal container. Shut the lid and leave to cook for a 2 hours.
- Before serving check the seasoning and adjust if necessary.
- Spinkle with chopped coriander and serve with crusty bread.
Â© 2012 Dave Knowles - The Thermal Cook. The copyright of this recipe belongs to Dave Knowles - The Thermal Cook and it should not be reproduced in any form without written permission from The Thermal Cook.
Continue reading about Mr D’s TV Thermal Cooking Video 012 – Portuguese Fish Stew