Marmitako in Basque means ‘from the pot’. Originally this dish was eaten by Basque fishermen on board their boats when fishing for tuna. For years this dish has been popular in restaurants in the Basque Country.
The dish is a thick stew of potatoes and tuna fish caught by the fishermen in the Cantabrian Sea. Marmitako can be prepared up to the point a which the tuna is added, and then reheated the following day when you add the tuna. You can substitute salmon for the tuna if you wish.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 150ml white wine
- 200ml of fish stock
- 400g tin tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- 500g small waxy potatoes, quartered
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 rosemary sprig
- 500g fresh tuna, cut into 2 cm chunks
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- Heat the oil in the inner pot and add the onions. Cook over a medium heat until the onions are soft.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the wine, stock, tomatoes, paprika and chilli flakes. Bring to the boil.
- Add the potatoes, green pepper, bay leaf and rosemary.
- Bring back to the boil and then turn down to a simmer.
- Simmer for 5 minutes with the lid on.
- Switch off the heat and put the inner pot into the insulated outer container.
- Close the lid and thermal cook without power for a minimum of 2 hours.
- 15 minutes before serving remove the inner pot and bring back to the boil.
- Check the seasoning and adjust if necessary.
- Add the tuna, put the lid back on and place the inner pot back into the insulated outer container.
- Shut the lid and thermal cook for 15 minutes without heat.
- Serve with crusty bread.
Seafood paella is a dish that is always enjoyed by those that like seafood. Making it in a thermal cooker is so easy.
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 170g chorizo, cut into thin slices
- 500g chicken, cut into 2-3 cm cubes
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, cut finely
- 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp of smoked paprika
- pinch of saffron
- 375g bomba paella rice
- 750ml of fish or vegetable stock
- 1tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup of frozen peas
- 400g frozen mixed seafood
- Stir the saffron threads in 2 tablespoons of boiling water and leave to soak for 10 minutes.
- Heat the oil in the inner saucepan and add the chorizo, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the onion and cook over a low-medium heat until soft.
- Add the garlic and chicken. Cook until the chicken is sealed.
- Add the tomatoes and cook fr 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the rice and coat with the mixture.
- Add the saffron and the water it has been soaking in.
- Pour in the stock, peas, paprika, salt and pepper, stir well and bring the mixture to the boil.
- Turn down the heat to a simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes with the lid on.
- Put the inner pot into the insulated outer container and shut the lid.
- Thermal cook without power for a minimum of 2 hours.
- 30 minutes before serving put the inner pot onto a medium heat and add the seafood and peas.
- Stir well before putting the inner pot back into the insulated outer container.
- Thermal Cook for 30 minutes before serving.