Originally the recipe was designed for ox tail but as I was unable to find any at this time of the year I decided to use shin. This dish is ideal for the thermal cooker as it needs long slow cooking.
- 1kg shin of beef, cubed
- 5cm of fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
- 2 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 tbsp Shaoxing rice wine or dry sherry
- 1 tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp fresh ground pepper
- green spring onions, sliced
- ½ fill the inner pot with water and briong it to the boil.
- Carefully place the beef in the boiling water and bring back to the boil.
- Drain the beef and return to the inner pot.
- Fill with enough water too cover the beef and add the ginger, dark soy sauce, oyster sauce, Shaoxing rice wine or dry sherry, sugar and ground pepper.
- Bring to the boil and then turn down to a simmer.
- Simmer for 5 minutes with the lid on.
- Turn off the heat and put the inner pot into the insulated outer container.
- Shut the lid and thermal slow cook without power for a minimum of 3 hours.
- Garnish the beef with the sliced spring onions.
- Serve with rice and stir fried vegetables.
Tags: ALL RECIPES, eco-friendly cooking, food, food/haybox/hay box/thermal cooking, hay box, haybox, meat, Mr Ds Cookbook, mr ds thermal cooker, MrDsKitchen, shin of beef, the thermal cook, thermal cooker, thermo cooker, thermo cooking