Tomorrows recipe will be braised pork Shanghai style.
- ½ cup plain flour
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 3 tsp dry mustard
- 1.5kg pork shoulder, trimmed and cubed
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 spring onions, sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp ginger, minced
- 1 ltr chicken stock
- 400g can tomatoes
- 3 tbs tomato purée
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 juice of lime
- In plastic bag, combine flour, thyme, allspice, cayenne and dry mustard. Add pork and shake to coat, reserving remaining flour mixture.
- In the inner pot heat 2 tbsp of the oil over medium heat and fry the pork on batches, until browned then remove to a plate.
- Add remaining oil to the inner pot and fry the onions, garlic and ginger until fragrant.
- Add reserved flour mixture and stir for 1 minute.
- Add stock, the tin of tomatoes and tomato purée. Bring to boil, scraping up brown bits.
- Return pork and any accumulated juices to the pot.
- Stir in soy sauce, brown sugar and lime juice and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- Put the inner pot into the insulated outer container and shut the lid.
- Thermal cook without power for a minimum of 2 hours.
- Serve with rice.
Tags: ALL RECIPES, eco-friendly cooking, food/haybox/hay box/thermal cooking, haybox, meat, Mr Ds Cookbook, mr ds thermal cooker, MrDsKitchen, pork, the thermal cook, thermal cook, thermal cookbook, thermal cooker, thermo cooker, thermo cooking