I prepared this in my thermal cooker before going out this evening and when we returned we had only to add some hot water to the couscous wait for a few minutes and the meal was ready to eat.
Persian Chicken is the ideal meal when friends come round.
- 12 chicken thighs, skinned
- 4 tbsp plain flour
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp paprika
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 cloves
- 3 cm piece fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1 litre hot chicken stock
- 250 g young spinach leaves
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp fresh ground pepper
- After skinning the chicken slash it 3 or 4 times.
- Mix the flour, turmeric and paprika in a shallow bowl.
- Coat the chicken pieces with the spiced flour.
- Heat the olive oil in the inner pot and add the chicken in batches. Cook until browned then remove onto a plate.
- Add the onions and garlic. Cook until the onions start to colour.
- Stir in any spiced flour that is left and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the cloves and ginger.
- Put the chicken thighs back into the inner pot.
- Add the stock, salt and pepper. Bring to the boil.
- Turn down the heat and simmer for 5 minutes with the lid on.
- Add the spinach replace the lid and turn off the heat.
- Place the inner pot into the insulated outer container and shut the lid.
- Leave to thermal cook without power for a minimum of 2 hours.
- Serve with couscous and some salad leaves.