This pork curry is uses tamarind paste to give it the sour taste and fish sauce to add a salty flavour. It does not use coconut milk just chicken stock and water.
If you would prefer to use chicken or fish instead of pork the curry should work fine.
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 500g pork, cubed
- 1 tsp shrimp paste
- ¼ cup coriander coarsley chopped
- 1 tbsp galangal paste
- 1 tsp crushed chilles
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp tamarind paste
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 500ml chicken stock
- 500ml water
- Coriander leaves to garnish
- Heat the oil in the inner pot. When hot add the pork cook until browned.
- Stir in the shrimp paste, coriander, galangal paste and chilles. Cook for a couple of minutes until fragrant.
- Add the fish sauce, tamarind paste, sugar, the chicken stock and water. Stir well and bring to the boil.
- Turn down to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes with the lid on.
- Turn off the heat and place the inner pot into the insulated outer container.
- Shut the lid and leave to thermal slow cook for 2 to 3 hours.
- Serve in a bowl garnished with the coriander leaves and rice in a separate bowl.