Vietnamese cuisine is a perfect blend of fresh ingredients, pungent fish sauce, tart limes and a wide variety of familiar and exotic herbs. Pork, chicken and fish are popular, but there is also a well developed vegetarian culinary tradition. Thit Heo Kho Nuoc Dua (pork Stew with coconut juice) is a very popular dish in Vietnam but like so many recipes there are many variations. I was unable to get a fresh coconut for the juice so I used a tin of coconut milk diluted with one tin of water.
Although this is a very easy recipe it has four main steps. First step is the marinading of the pork which needs to be done at least one hour before cooking. Second step is hard boiling the eggs. Hard boiled eggs are used in many Vietnamese recipes. Third step is the main cooking and the third step is adding the beansprouts and eggs before serving.
- 1 kg lean pork, cut into big pieces
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp palm sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 coconut, fresh coconut juice
- 4 eggs, hard boiled and peeled
- ½ cup rice per person
- Put the marinade ingredients into a bowl and add the pork. Stir well to make sure it is all covered then put in the fridge for at least one hour.
- Heat cooking oil in the inner pot and stir fry pork for 5 minutes.
- Pour in coconut juice and bring to the boil then turn down to a simmer.
- Simmer for 5 minutes with the lid on then turn off the heat and put the inner pot into the insulated outer container.
- Shut the lid and leave to thermal slow cook without power for a minimum of 2 hours.
- 30 nibutes before you want to serve remove the inner pot from the outer insulated container and place it on a medium heat.
- Add the eggs and bamboo shoots. Bring to the boil.
- Put the inner pot back into the outer container and leave to thermal cook for 30 minutes. Longer will not hurt.
- Before serving check the seasoning and adjust with salt and fish sauce if necessary.
- Serve with rice.
Tags: ALL RECIPES, coconut juice, eco-friendly cooking, fish suace, garlic, hay box, haybox, Mr Ds Cookbook, mr ds thermal cooker, MrDsKitchen, pork, the thermal cook, thermal cook, thermal cookbook, thermal cooker, THERMAL COOKERS, thermal cooking, thermo cooker, thermo cooking