Venison and Wild Rice - Cooked in Mr D Thermal Cooker
[video_lightbox_youtube video_id=J0pGc6jkcjM width=853 height=480 anchor=http://www.thethermalcook.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/venison-and-wild-rice-youtu1.jpg]
- 1 cup of wild rice
- 2 cups of water
- 2 tbs rapeseed oil
- 200g smoked lardons
- 1 onion, sliced
- 500g venison, cubed
- 1 green pepper, roughly chopped
- 300g potatoes, cubed
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 400g tin tomatoes, chopped
- 200ml water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground pepper
Cooking the wild rice
- Place the rice in a pan and add the water.
- Bring to the boil and boil for 3 minutes.
- Take off the heat, put on a lid and leave for later.
Cooking the venison
- Heat the oil in the inner pot over a medium-high heat, add the lardons and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add the onion and cook until it soften.
- Add the venison and cook until it colours.
- Stir in the green pepper, potatoes, chilli powder and curry powder.
- Add the tin of tomatoes, water, salt and pepper.
- Bring to the boil stirring occasionally.
- Turn down the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Drain the rice and stir it into the venison.
- Bring back to the boil.
- Turn off the heat and place the inner pot into the insulated outer container.
- Shut the lid and leave to thermal cook without power for a minimum of three hours.
- Serve with some nicely steamed vegetables.
Â© 2012 Dave Knowles - The Thermal Cook. The copyright of this recipe belongs to Dave Knowles - The Thermal Cook and it should not be reproduced in any form without written permission from The Thermal Cook.
Tags: boats, camping cooker, caravans, cooking, eco-friendly cooking, hay box, haybox, meat, motorhomes, Mr Ds Cookbook, mr ds recipes, mr ds thermal cooker, recipes, Shuttle Chef, slow cooker, the thermal cook, thermal, thermal cook, thermal cookbook, thermal cooker, THERMAL COOKERS, thermal cooking, venison, wild rice