I have used beef stock in the recipe but you could use red wine instead.
The venison sausage could be substituted for something like wild boar.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 500 g venison sausages
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 200 g smoked bacon, chopped
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 375 ml beef stock
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp lightly bruised juniper berries
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Salt and black pepper
- 2 tbsp of rowan, crab apple or redcurrant jelly
- In the inner pot brown the sausages in olive oil.
- Remove sausages and add onion, garlic and bacon to pan and cook for 5 minutes
- Return sausages to the inner pot
- Stir in the flour until the juices are absorbed.
- Add the beef stock, thyme, bay leaf, juniper berries and balsamic vinegar.
- Bring contents to the boil.
- Put on the lid and turn down to a simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and place the inner pot into the insulated outer container.
- Shut the lid and thermal cook without heat for a minimum of 1½ hours.
- Check seasoning (you may not need salt if the bacon is salty)
- Stir in the fruit jelly and once this has melted serve with mashed potato.