Learn how to make Ash-e Anar in a Mr D’s Thermal Cooker. Ash-e Anar or pomegranate soup is a Persian dish made from pomegranate juice, yellow split peas, mint leaves, spices, and other ingredients.
- 2 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 2 large onions, roughly chopped
- 100g dried yellow split peas
- 2L water
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp turmeric
- pinch saffron
- 1 cup parsley, chopped
- 1 cup coriander, chopped
- 1/2 cup mint, chopped
- 100g basmati rice
- 400ml pomegranate juice
- 3 tbsp pomegranate molasses
- 2 tbsp castor sugar
- 24 small lamb meatballs
- seeds from a pomegranate to garnish
- Place the inner pot ons medium heat.
- Add the onions and the garlic. Cook until the onion start to brown.
- Add all the other ingredients other than the meatballs and the pomegranate seeds. Bring to the boil.
- Once boiling add the meatballs and bring back to the boil.
- When it has come to the boil turn down the heat and let it boil for 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and place the inner pot into the insulated outer container.
- Shut the lid and leave to cook for a minimum of three hours without power. You can leave it longer if you wish.
- Serve with a sprinkling of pomegranate seeds.